I posted a picture of this floral fabric on Instagram and asked for pattern recommendations. Several recommended the Rhapsody Blouse from Love Notions but I realized I already had a similar pattern, the Everyday Elegance from Patterns for Pirates. I originally bought this pattern about 4 years ago because it was similar to one of my favorite ready to wear shirts.
I can’t believe I forgot about this pattern and I’m glad I finally got around to making it.
The pattern was easy to assemble and I only had trouble attaching the collar. I think my shirt fabric must have stretched out because I couldn’t get the collar to fit all the way around. Next time I will stay stitch the neckline to prevent stretching.
The pattern includes several ways to attach and finish the collar, which I really like. I wanted to cover the seam with bias tape but didn’t have any, so I just did the exposed seam option. I’d like to try the traditional way to attach the collar next time, as it gives a really nice and clean finish on the inside.
I knew this pattern was designed with a loose fit, I just didn’t how loose of a fit it actually was. I could have easily sized down one, probably two, sizes. I ended up taking in the upper part of the sleeves through the though the high hip of shirt about 1 3/4 inches on each side. I also took an additional 2 inches off the hem.
After taking in the shirt, I am VERY happy with how it turned out! I love this style of shirt and would like to make it again now that I know what adjustments need to be made. There are also several hacks mentioned in the pattern company’s blog, such as a sleeveless tank and using a neck facing for the neckline, that I’d like to try.
I’d also like to try the Rhapsody pattern to compare them, especially the fit. The rayon blend fabric is perfect for this style as it’s so comfortable to wear. I think this pattern will be a spring/summer staple for sure!