If you remember my 2020 plans, I’m trying to use patterns and fabric I already have for projects this year. I teamed up with Marissa from Sew Help Me, who had similar goals for this year, to collaborate on an Easter dress. Obviously, we planned this before all the social distancing and stay at home orders went into effect but we decided to finish anyway. It was such a welcome distraction during these weird times. We will just have to wear them to the sofa while we watch Easter services online!
We decided on New Look 6447, which I had in my stash, and I totally lucked out on the fabric! I had this beautiful woven I bought last year but didn’t have enough for the dress. My local fabric store had just set out their spring fabrics and had the same fabric I bought last year! I bought the extra yardage I needed as well as some matching lining.
Marissa and I both chose view C, which has an A-line skirt and cap sleeves. I made a size 10 and graded to a size 12 in the waist and hips. Marissa introduced me to the Palmer-Pletsch tissue fitting method and I really enjoyed learning how to tissue fit this pattern. I used both the pattern tissue and Swedish tracing paper for the tissue fitting, just to see how they would perform. Both worked fine but the Swedish tracing paper did hold up better to repeated pinning and folding.
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to follow along with the instructions. This was my first time fully lining a bodice and it I love how polished it looks on the inside. I did have a few problems sewing this pattern but nothing major. The midriff piece turned out straighter on the bottom than the pictures showed. I’m not sure if I cut it wrong or it’s just how the pattern piece was. The top and bottom of the midriff piece are very similar, which made sewing it on a little confusing. I kept getting puckers in the main fabric on the sleeves but I think that was due to me not basting the lining to the sleeve as well as I thought . I also had trouble sewing the bottom of the zipper to the skirt and had to hand sew it.
The only other changes I made to the pattern was to line the skirt as the fabric wasn’t opaque and I took 2 inches off the longest length to make it fall just below the knee. I am happy with how the dress turned out and the fabric is a nice and bright change from the neutral solids I learn toward.
This was my first collaboration and it was so fun! Marissa is so sweet and knowledgeable. Sewing PDF patterns and knits are more my realm so it was great having someone to ask questions, as tissue paper pattern instructions aren’t always clear.
I hope you are all staying safe and healthy and that you are able to use sewing as a way to relieve stress during this crazy time!