My youngest and now potty trained and I have officially gotten rid of all my cloth diapers. I was especially sad about the diapers I had made. I put so much love and effort into making them, and while they were far form perfect as one of my first sewing projects, it warmed my heart to see my babies’ cute little fluff butts in momma made diapers!
We use a mixed of momma made and store bought cloth diapers as well disposable for both of my kids and really enjoyed it–especially the cost savings over using all disposables! If you’re considering making cloth diapers, here are some great resources:
There are several different types of clothes diapers: fitteds, prefolds, covers, AIOs (all-in-ones), pockets, and AI2 (all-in-2). Luckily, all are fairly easy to make! I find covers and pockets the easiest to make since you don’t have to worry about sewing through many layers of absorbent fabric, which some machines can struggle with. I ended up making covers and pockets and using store-bought inserts because my machine at the time just didn’t like thick layers.
There are a lot of great diaper patterns out there, both free and paid.
- Arfy’s Free Patterns: An extensive list of free patterns. I loved the OS square pocket patterns.
- Rocket Bottoms: Several great patterns, including the fitted, which I love! They even have toddler-sized patterns!
- Happy Hippos
- Mama Can Do It
- Cloth Diaper Sewing Supplies: A list of over 20 free diaper patterns!
- Diaper Sewing Supplies: You can get everything you need here!
- Kam Snaps: Every color you could ever want for snaps! They even have engraved and shaped snap for adding some extra flair.
- Nature’s Fabrics: Great place for natural fabrics such as bamboo, cotton, and hemp.
There are so many great online resources available! Here are a few that I’ve found helpful.
- Cloth Diaper Sewing 101
- Prefold2Fitted: Arfy’s blog that contains lots of tutorial’s and general information on cloth diapers and sewing.
- Fluff Love Sewing (Facebook Group)
- Fluff Love & CD Science (Facebook Group)
- Cloth Diaper Sewing (Facebook Group)
Cloth Diaper Friendly Pants:
A little extra fluff on the butt sometimes means that the regular sized baby pants don’t fit. Some people just choose to size up on pants but I really loved making “grow with me” pants that worked amazingly well with cloth diapers.
- Monster Bunz: This is the pattern I used. I love how they have several fit styles available.
If you have any more questions about sewing cloth diapers, let me know!