Growing up, my mom was always so great about decorating the house for each season and Holiday. For Halloween we’d always hang handmade bat decorations from the ceiling in the kitchen and tape them on the cabinets. The decorations weren’t anything fancy but I always enjoyed helping my mom decorate.
Unfortunately, the only holiday I’ve really decorated my house for is Christmas! I figure it’s time to start making some memories decorating with my kids. I’ve searched all around internet land and these are my favorite free Halloween patterns and sewing projects. Many of these projects are great for having the kids help!
If you’re looking for a list of free Halloween costume patterns, check out my posts from last year.
- Halloween Pillow Tutorial: Sweet Red Poppy is one of my favorite craft blogs. She always has the cutest crafts and these pillows make the perfect Halloween decorations! A Cricuit maker is used for this in the tutorial but you can cut the fabric yourself.
- Halloween Mini Quilt: If you’re a quilter, you should try this!
- Halloween Advent Calandar: The pockets on this would be great for scraps! The pockets designs look like they were purchased from Cricuit Design Space but you could sew (or hot glue!) numbers on instead.
- Plush Witch Kitty: A cute vampire/witch kitty plushy.
- Plush Bat: You will need an embroidery machine for the face.
- Halloween Banner: I love how you can use all those cute Halloween prints you see at the fabric store for this! A free cut file is included when you sign up for the newsletter.
- Eyeball Softie: This hand sewing project would be great for kids too!
- Halloween Ornaments: A quick project for a bat, ghost, and pumpkin ornament. Another great kid project!
- Mummy Pillow: Inspired by a Pottery Barn pillow, this tutorial uses an old decorative pillow cover and gauze.
- Ghost Mug Rugs: I think these are so adorable and make the prefect candy table decoration.
- Halloween Pillow Wreath: Dress up your door with this fun DIY wreath!
- Candy Corn Softie: This simple project could easily be made in under an hour.
- Reversible Trick or Treat Bags: This bag is big and strong enough to hold all your kid’s candy.
- Black Cat Softie: Includes a PDF pattern and says it can be made in about 30 minutes.
- Poe Pillow Tutorial: This tutorial is a little vague on the details but I love the idea! It uses a freezer paper stencil for the decorations but you could also use heat transfer vinyl if you have a cutting machine.
- Ghost Garland: This super cut ghost garland requires just a little simple sewing and comes together quick! A PDF template is included and is a great way to decorate your space for Halloween.
- Frankenstein Safety Pin Holder: If you’re looking for a unique way to store your safety pins, check this out!
- Ghosts Embroidery Hoop: If embroidery is more your thing, this hoop has a pom trim and 3 cute ghosts!
- Bones Halloween Pillow: This pillow would also go great with the others listed above. HeatnBond iron on adhesive is used to create the skeleton but it would be quicker to use heat transfer vinyl but with a Cricut or Silhouette machine.
- Witch Shoe Treat Bag: This little treat bags also make really cute silverware holders for a Halloween party!
- Fabric Scrap Candy Garland: This would also be great in Christmas colors.
- Halloween Table Runner: Dress up your table with this shabby-chic runner.
- Fabric Pumpkins: Great for Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations!
Do you have a favorite Halloween decoration or tradition? I’d love to hear it!