Store bought swimsuits rarely fit me. I would spend so much time trying on different ones only to leave each store frustrated. If this is you, it’s time to consider sewing your own swimsuit! Sewing a swimsuit can be intimidating at first but you’ll surprise yourself at how easy it can be to sew a swimsuit that actually fits you. I’ve listed some great patterns below as well as places to buy supplies so you can “dive” right in! (See what I did there?)
- North Shore Swimsuit : This is a great basic bikini pattern with several options for tops and 4 different bottom rises. A one piece is also included in the pattern!
- Laura Swimsuit: This swimsuit has lots of options, including 2 interesting back detail options. There is even the option of making it a modest swim dress.
- Jazz Swimsuit: A one piece and tankini pattern with flattering ruching.
- Grace Tankini: If a skirted tankini is your style, this pattern is for you!
- Ella’s Retro Ruched Swimsuit: A cute retro one piece with full coverage bottom.
- Mairin: This pattern has the most options of any swim pattern I’ve seen! I have the girl’s version for my daughter and I love all the options!
- Cottesloe Swimsuit: Basic one piece and 2 piece set.
- Soma Swimsuit: A one piece and bikini set with cute strap options.
- Jalie One-Piece Swimsuits: Includes a sweetheart and twist front options.
- Alexandra Swimsuit: I love the cross-over ruffle front on this one piece!
- Camilla: A one piece with a ruffle front.
- Roxy Tankini: With ride straps and a peplum top, this is a great swim to wear to chase you kids around the pool and still be modest!
- Take the Plunge Swimsuit: This is one of my absolute favorites! I made the bikini hack listed on the Patterns for Pirates blog and I LOVE it!
- Siren Swim Top: A flounce top made to pair with the Hello Sailor Swim Bottoms.
- Waterfall Swimsuit: This ruffle top pattern is for a bikini or tankini. The bottoms come in 2 rise options..
- Oasis: A one piece and mix and match bikini set.
- Bombshell: A Retro ruched one piece and high waisted bikini.
- Jalie Valerie: A rash guard pattern.
- Into the Blue: A bow front monokini pattern.
- Beverly Twist Bikini: I love the bottoms on this pattern! The top is not padded but you could add it in if you prefer padded tops–I do!
Where to Buy Supplies:
Swim fabric, lining, and power mesh can be found at Joann’s as well as many online stores including:
- Boho Fabrics: They even offer the option of making your order a kit that included matching lining and elastic.
- So Sew English
- The Fabric Fairy
- Raspberry Creek Fabrics
- Miley Mae
- Purple Seamstress
- Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop
- Sly Fox Fabrics
Some of those fabric stores also have swim notions such as swim elastic and bra cups, but if you need them fast you can buy them on Amazon (affiliate links).
- Bra Cups: A 3 pack that comes in a few colors
- Swim Elastic: Comes in both 1/4″ and 3/8″
- S Hooks 3/4″
- S Hooks 1″
- Wash Away Hem Tape: Swim fabric can be slippery to work with. Using this tape helped keep everything together while sewing! Glue sticks will also work.