As a follow up to my post on the easiest fabrics to sew, I am writing a post about the types of patterns that are the easiest to sew for beginners.
When choosing a pattern for one of your first projects, you want to look for patterns that are simple in design and don’t contain a lot of pattern pieces. For tops choose a pattern with dolman and raglan style sleeves as they are easier than in set sleeves. For bottoms, leggings and a knit skirt are good patterns to start with.
Here are a few patterns that are beginner friendly:
- Sweet Tee: One of my favorites! I love the curved hem and find the fit to be flattering.
- Slim Fit Raglan: A basic tee shirt that I love making this all sleeve lengths!
- Relaxed Raglan: A more relaxed fit than the slim fit listed above. If you don’t like hemming, you can bands the sleeves and bottom! I use the add on pack to make comfy hoodies.
- Tunic from Gina Renee Designs: I just made this with my Sewciety box and love that it doesn’t have a neckband. Neckbands can be a little tricky for beginners and this pattern sews up so nicely!
- Leggings: This pattern is a great way to jump into sewing leggings or workout bottoms because it’s FREE!
- Skirt: This pattern has so many options you can make all kinds of skirts! All options are beginner friendly too! (affiliate link)
- Nancy’s Raglan Dress: The cowl neck dress is a simple sew and can also be made into a shirt or tunic
Don’t forget to check out my favorite free patterns, most of which are great for beginners! Sewing any of these patterns will help you hone in your new skills and give you the confidence to tackle more challenging projects!