If you’re getting a new sewing machine for Christmas you may be wondering what additional tools and accessories you need to start sewing knits. While you don’t really need much to start sewing, you’ll find these tools will make it much easier!
- Rotary Cutter & Replacement Blades: Helps make cutting a breeze. Get one to cut fabric and another to cut out your patterns. How often you have to replace your blade depends on how much fabric you cut and what type of fabric but it’s always helpful to have a spare lying around!
- Self Healing Mat: 24″ x 36″ is my preferred size since I find anything smaller to be too small for cutting much except baby clothes.
- Wash Away Hem Tape: A life saver for working with slippery fabrics and hemming knits.
- Ball Point Needles & Stretch Twin Needles: I mainly use 80/12. Twin needles help make hems more professional looking without a coverstitch machine. They come in two widths: 2.5mm and 4.0mm
- Flexible Measuring Tape: Taking accurate body measurements helps to choose the best size to cut.
- French Curve: This helps to draw a line when grading between different sizes in a pattern.
- See-Thru Ruler: A lot of PDF pattern companies only include measurements for rectangle pieces such as neckbands and arm bands. I like to make a pattern piece with the measurements to use but many prefer to just measure and cut right on the fabric.
- Iron: Pressing seams can make all the difference in your project! A lot of people love Rowenta and Oliso irons but they can also be a little expensive. This Black and Decker has worked beautifully for me and is very affordable! A tailor’s clapper will help give you nice crisp seams from the steam of your iron.
- Seam Ripper: I’m forever losing mine when I need one so do yourself a favor and order a whole bunch!
- Walking Foot: A MUST when sewing with most knits. It helps feed the fabric evenly through the machine so it isn’t stretched.
Most of the accessories on this list will also come in handy when sewing with other fabrics so they are always good to have around!