I love wearing dresses, even though I usually have no where special to wear them! Christmas time is a great excuse to sew yourself a fancier dress. There are a lot of great party dress patterns for wovens but not as many for knits as they tend to be more casual. However, with the right fabric you can really dress up most knit patterns. Try using more stable knits, like ponte, or adding some sparkle with sequin fabric! Adding some accessories and jewelry to your outfit can make it perfect for a holiday party.
In the picture above is a Halla Agnes dress in crushed velvet. It doesn’t look quite how I envisioned it and the velvet was quite a pain to sew but overall I am happy with it. Next time I would do hemmed sleeves instead of cuffs and add a belt when wearing it to add some extra punch. I do love that it’s a twirly dress!
Below is a list of my favorite holiday dress patterns, including some FREE patterns! All are make with knits and are simple enough for beginners.
- Wiggle Dress: I want to make the gold sequin skirt version pictured on the site! I love sparkle!
- Sweetheart Dress: Great for adding stretch lace.
- Crissy-Cross Over Dress: A great maternity option!
- Jessica Bodycon Dress: I love the ruffle hem on this.
- Betty Faux Wrap Dress: Such a flattering style!
- Mama Cassie Dress: The off-the-shoulder version would make a great party dress.
- Mama Joy: One of my absolute favorites because of the box pleats–love them!
- Tessa Sheath Dress: I’ve had my eye on this pattern for quite awhile!
Check out these free dress patterns! Some do require you to join their Facebook page to get the coupon code.